Monday, February 9, 2009

Adversity

The end of this week will mark our 15th month of waiting for our referral. I am trying not to think about it. I am keeping myself busy with yoga, movies, eating, re-runs of Felicity, reading, booking a holiday etc.

Is it working? Ummmmm...hmmmmm...welllllllllll......uuuuhhhhh....

Anyways, I never dreamed in a million years we would see 15 months and maybe a couple more.

It is what is! While I would like to be able to control everything in my life, it has become painfully obvious I can't. So, I yogatize - it helps in doses - so does slipping away for 2 hours to see a movie (Go see Slumdog Millionaire! Do it! Now!)

Last night we watched the Grammy's (overall a little boring except for Paul...excuse me...SIR Paul McCartney -how cool was that!) and there was a performance by T.I. (who?) and Justin Timberlake (hottie J.T.) and something T.I (who? I'm so getting old) said in his rap stuck with me.

"Adversity builds character,
Character takes you places money can't."

I believe adversity takes all shapes and forms - my adversity is piddly to what others face (go see Slumdog Millionaire - Get! Go!) but it is mine!

If I didn't have character before I have it now!

So, 15 months here we come!!! Please don't be sad for us, and don't feel bad for us...this is our adversity and we'll take it. If it is the worst thing we ever have to face...well, then we'll be just fine. All we ask is when you see us - give us big hugs, the kind that take your breath away - we could use that :)

Much love

19 comments:

sandi said...

you are old man... nect thing you know you'll be recommending I read the twilight books or something LOL

hoping there is no more than 1 month of waiting left... can't wait to celebrate with you when you get your referral... maybe I'll even eat 2 brownies then!

good seeing you saturday!
sandi

Dianne said...

I'm ready for a little less character... no I'm not! Yes I am! No I'm not! GAH!

You're right, you know. And however it feels now, in 10 years it will just be a blip - whereas what we've learned and how we've grown will help define us.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I admire how you can look at this process and constantly find ways to turn the negatives into positives! You rock, sister friend!

And you're right -- all you can do is keep going forward, and try to control whether it's going to beat on you or you are going to beat on it!

Julie said...

Sending you a big, take your breathe away, Cyber Hug.

BCMommy said...

Wow, such a positive outlook. Thanks for sharing the wisdom you have gained. In the long run, I suppose we need to put our journey into perspective with the hardships others are facing in their lives, like our children's birth families.
Cyber hug from me too!

Claire

The Turgeon Expansion said...

If I could bottle your positivity I would be RICH, girl.

Did I tell you how awesome and special of a friend you are? Cuz, you rock girl!

PS. You rip apart that 15 months!!

Janice said...

Great post Rana!

A friend of mine who has already been through the adoption adventure told me to try not live life around the adoption but rather to just live life. It sounds to me like you do this very well. I like your attitude. The end result of all this waiting will be sooooo worth it. I so hope that your referral is just around the corner.

Does watching the Bachelor help to build character? At least it gives us something to look forward to on Monday nights.

Janice said...

I forgot...I saw the movie and love it!

Ranavan said...

If we get a referral in the next month I will join you in eating 2 brownies Sandi!!!

Ramona said...

I am beginning to wonder just how much character they want us to build... In any case, it's good to hear you're still hanging in there.
Here's a {hug} as you hit this next month mark...
Ramona

I was just thinking that when we both get to meet in Ethiopia, we'll have lots of fun taking pictures of our kids together- great camera gift you got!!

sas said...

BIG HUG from Lethbridge...

Sas

Kristen, Dave, Katelyn & Jon said...

You inspire me Rana - you're my role model for how I hope to act when I'm facing the 15 month mark next year.

I thought I was the only person who watached Felicity reruns - you must have Cosmo TV!!

I'm going to be in Saskatoon the week of February 23 (I'm handling the Curtis Dagenais trial). I'd love to get together with you and the Saskatoon girls if possible.

Let me know.

Kristen :)

hazel said...

It's saying something when we are able to be consoled by a rapper!

"Adversity builds character" - it is a good reminder, but I say Character, Schmaracter!! We've now got character coming out the ying yang. ENOUGH! On with the good tidings, sil vous plait!!

(((BIG HUGS))

Jess said...

you always seem to stay positive and see the good in it... I have focued on the character building already too and I don't know waiting like you... so wise you are! :) we should hang out again soon!

Dancin' Momma said...

Well written! This wait seems to be doing some great things for your writing :) I probably will not have the wonderful blessing of seeing you in person soon, so I am hugging my dog REALLY... TIGHT.... RIGHT.... NOW.... can you feel it? Go hug your pooch... there now can you feel it? Its the whole doggie ESP Hug network. :)

Ranavan said...

Claire - I would love to read your blog if you will have me.

r.wright@sasktel.net

Kristen - I will email you! Curtis Dagenais - that is huge!

The Turgeon Expansion said...

Curt...yeah, our lucky town gets to be in the news again, ra, ra!

-C said...

Just stopping by from Habeshahouse to thank you for your comment on my post yesterday. I have another idea for you to pass the time while you are waiting; go find some posts for the blog book!. Go right now, and then go see Slumdog Millionaire again. If you need me you can find me immersed in your archives.

Charlotte

Sebrina Wilson said...

Great attitude!!!! Sending you big hugs and strength!!