Friday, December 3, 2010

Confession Friday

I confess I am livid right now - I am expected to be reasonable but I prefer to be unreasonable and demand equality for adoptive mothers/families when it comes to parental leave.

I confess I got an email from a friend for a recipe exchange and thought "um, hmmm, no I don't think so." But then thought "oh, why not" and now I have already received 3 lovely recipes and I LOVE recipes!!! (Ahem, sorry to those of you who got the email from me but come on - just do it! hee!)

I confess Sunday will be the day we officially declare the Christmas season has arrived at the Ranavan household...the tree and decorations will be dusted off and removed from the basement. Trimming will occur and we will hit the light switch and then sit in wondrous awe! (Sorry hubby, you have to help!)

I confess I need to be somewhere in just over an hour and I haven't showered yet...eep! I better get typing.

I confess I do not where 2010 went and can NOT believe it is almost 2011!

I confess Christmas gift giving has me in a quandary this year....I don't know what to get people. Help!

I confess I am dog-tired these days...dragging my sorry #ss out of bed in the cold, dark mornings has been hard.

I confess I love my adoption community!!!!!!

I confess I have to go....I am about to be very late...less than an hour now......

9 comments:

andrea said...

Christmas idea... you can adopt animals from the WWF. Part of the cost is fundraising, but you also actually get sent a little stuffed animal too. I adopted an emperor penguin and a tiger for a couple of people. Just a thought... hope you were on time this morning :-)

PS. I would usually not do those pass along email kinds of things either, but coming from you, I thought, Ok... now I'm anxiously waiting for some recipes too!

Dancin' Momma said...

Actually it should be more than just adoptive mothers, it should be for all parents regardless of sex. The problem is the way they worded the policies around leave. Maternity is meant to be a time for the mother to recover physically from delivery. Parental leave is to allow the parents time to bond with their child. Unless they change that wording and definition, nothing will ever change.

I will try and do the reciepe thing. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree on the parental leave. You should get the whole year too. I am holding my breath that you get the VISA ASAP.

Gail

lyndsey said...

Parental leave for us SUCKS ASS. It is totaly BULLSHIT and I have vented for YEARS about it... I tried to put in a grievance and they basically laughed at me- F*&CKERS!!

L

Unknown said...

Ok, maybe I am totally uninformed, but I thought parental leave was available to adoptive parents??? I don't expect it to be a problem for us since I'm already lucky enough to be able to stay at home with my kids so they hubby will probably take a little time off but that will be it. Still, I'd like to know what's available. Can you fill me in?

JCB said...

I completely agree that adoptive parents should be entitled to equal leave...

Connie said...

It really ticks me off too that a biological mother gets 15 weeks of maternity leave PLUS the 35 weeks of parental leave (which can go to either parent) but adoptive parents only get the 35 weeks of parental leave. Speaking to most women that have given birth, they say it doesn't take 15 weeks to recover. No one cares about us adoptive parents who have to recover from travelling and adjust to new family life with a child from a foreign country. We too should get a "recovery period" on top of the 35 weeks.

darci said...

I didn't know parental leave is not teh same. that stinks! what do adoptive parents get? very unfair!
we are going to do the Christmas stuff sunday too (my husband does not know this yet, but i'm SURE he'll enter in with enthusiasm..ha!) have a great weekend. darci )

Claudia said...

oh yeah.... there is NO excuse for that inequality! That makes me SO MAD on your behalf!