Monday, July 21, 2008


I can't believe a week has gone by since I lasted posted. Where have I been you ask? (or maybe you didn't)

I have been running back and forth to the hospital since last Wednesday. You see my sweet, little, 84 soon-to-be-85-in-a-month Grandma D had an appendicitis attack. It started last Monday night but we were sure that she just the flu or food poisoning...this was deduced by my Grandma and me after recounting what she had been feeling all day. Never in our wildest imaginations did we think she would have a bad appendix.

Anyways, she continued to feel ill and on Wednesday my uncle took her to the doctor. They did a cat scan and wham-o!!! Appendicitis and they thought it had already ruptured. So, now they want to do now! So, I drove like a maniac to pick her up and take her to the hospital where they prepped her for surgery.

This little lady has never had surgery...not once! She has never gone under the knife one single time in her 85 years. She had 6 kids all by natural childbirth she was a little nervous to say the least. But being the trooper she is she told the doctors "let's get on with this so we can get it over with"...they did all the tests and her heart and chest and overall health is amazing for a lady her age. Then they zipped her away leaving me standing looking after her all teary eyed (I didn't want to cry in front of her). We waited with bated breath for an hour and half and the doctor came and said she did fine...they had to make an incision rather than laproscopically take it out but she was fine!

She plays shuffle board every night...still lives on her own and goes shopping every day!

She didn't even complain the next day about feeling icky from the anesthesia...I totally would have whined for a week ;)....she was in the hospital until Sunday...when she got to come home and put her feet up on her own couch. My mom and my aunties are coming in to stay with her for a few weeks and she is tickled pink!

I have to say the thought of losing my Grandma made me overcome with emotion...I know it is inevitable...we all have to go sometime...I am just glad that time wasn't now!

I will be taking a break from the blog for 2 weeks...this week to help care for my Grandma D and next week I am on holidays! Yahoo!

I will be checking blogs to see if anyone gets any referrals (Ricki, Rhonda and Sandi) and will post again when I am back from holidays!

Much love,



Julie said...

Grandma D is AMAZING! Glad she is on the mend.

Dianne said...

I'm so glad to hear your grandma is on the mend. All the best during your blog-break, and enjoy your holidays!!

Shannon and Dan said...

I'm glad to hear that your Grandma is doing well. That must have been scary!

Enjoy your family and holidays.


The Warren Family said...

Glad to hear your granny is ok.
Have a nice holiday!!

Ricki said...

I am so happy to hear that grandma pulled through just fine!
I was wondering where you have been.
I will try giving you a call sometime this week so we can plan a "date" in August...I have my days off booked now.

Sharla said...

I am glad she is okay. She sounds like a great lady! Enjoy your holidays!

haze said...

Yay Grandma!!! I'm so glad that everything went well. She sounds like an amazing, sturdy woman who brings great blessings into everyone's life. Enjoy your family time and vacation.

Ranavan said...

Thanks all! I sent all your good wishes to Grandma D! She loved it :)

Rhonda said...

Thinking of you guys! Still need to find a fringey day?!!

lovesmukiwa said...

It is wonderful that you are so close to your grandmother. My nan passed away last year and left a huge hole in my heart.

Chelsea Kamikaze said...

Rana you are so awesome. I am so glad you are there to give give Grandma the support she needs. She is a tough little lady though, she told me she'd be feeling frisky soon enough.