Monday, April 20, 2009

A Little Jazz...

...is nice!

Yvan and I are big music lovers...we love all genres with the exception of country I think. (Now don't all you country lovers get twisted in a knot - we just aren't that into it! Are there some good country singers, songs, albums? - sure but we just don't have a hankering for Hank Williams Sr. or Jr. that's all)

We go to a lot of concerts because we both love live music. We love Jazz a lot and while we aren't aficionados we are definitely lovers of the various styles of Jazz.

Last night we had the immense pleasure of going to see Diana Krall in concert. It was the most intimate, relaxed evening of music I have been to in a long time.



She is lovely, funny, witty and plays a wicked jazz piano. Did I mention she is Canadian and married to Elvis Costello? It's true.

We were seated really close thanks to our friends Kristie and Joel getting excellent seats for the 4 of us (2nd row) so you could actually see her fingers as they moved across the keys. It was an excellent way to spend a Sunday evening.

Her backing trio of musicians were definitely masters of their craft and we were just as enthralled by their presence on stage as we were of hers.

If she happens to be playing where you are, I highly recommend you go and see her.


8 comments:

lyndsey said...

I love Jazz as well. My favs are Miles Davis (the master) and of course Coltrane. Nothing like an evening with Wine and Jazz while we wait!!!

Keltie said...

I love Diana Krall and am highly envious. I spent Sunday evening at Safeway...doesn't even come close.

CinnamonOpus said...

That would have been fun! Mind you, I prefer Elvis Costello, but his wife IS awfully talented. :D

Carolyn said...

Looks like fun. Glad that you had a good time. Adam is jealous!


Carolyn

Jess said...

my girlfriend saw her in Edmonton and I was sad we didn't get tickets to go... we too love jazz! We will have to go hang out at the jazz festival this summer!

hazel said...

That sounds like a great evening.

Shauna said...

That is so cool Rana! I was there too!! I went with my Mom, Grandma and great Aunt. I absolutely loved it, very, very relaxing, I needed that!( We were in row J (main floor)

Ramona said...

That would have been an amazing concert! What a great "escape"!

Your post made me laugh. When Linc & I met, I was into country and he was into jazz. Some jazz music I really like, but some just makes me anxious... But I did spend some time in smokey lounges while his jazz band or big band played... And now I get to hear his grade7/8 jazz band that he leads...
Ramona